I’m immensely grateful for the precious gift my mother has given me. She is my hero today and every day. ~Steven Cojocaru
It’s Mother’s Day once again. But have you ever wondered how Mother’s Day came about? Well, below are some fun and interesting things to know about Mother’s Day.
Mother’s Day facts
1) Mother’s Day originated in the United States in the early 1900s. It was first celebrated in 1908 on second Sunday of May.
2) The Mother’s Day we know today is attributed to the efforts of Anna Jarvis, who campaigned to have a day dedicated to all mothers.
3) Mother’s Day became a recognized holiday in the US in 1914.
4) In the US alone, more than 122 million phone calls are made during this day.
5) Carnation is the flower of Mother’s Day, as it was believed that it was made from Mother Mary’s tears as she wept at Jesus Christ’s feet when he was crucified.
6) Pink and red carnation are for mothers who are alive and white for those who’ve already passed away.
7) Of all flowers purchased in the world, about a quarter is made during Mother’s Day.
8) In the US, about $14 billion is spent on gifts and surprises during Mother’s Day.
9) Mother’s Day is celebrated in more than 50 countries around the world.
10) Cards and flowers are the most common gifts during Mother’s Day.
Take a time to recognize a mother’s heroic act of bearing a child in her womb, rearing that child after being born and nourishing that same child up to her last breath. And that child is you.
With all these, Lazada couldn’t wait to celebrate this very special day with you. Our mothers are our heroes, so it’s only fitting we give her the best of gifts we can think about.
May Voucher Alert: LZDSUMMER
You may use this voucher to get discounts! Yay for discounts!
Just click the image to shop for your mom’s gift!